North Carolina Industrial Commission (NCIC)
ISO EDI Reporting Services
Notice: The NCIC Medical EDI Training has been rescheduled for Wednesday, December 12, 2012. Registration will begin at 8:30am; training will be 9:00am-3:30pm. The NCIC Medical EDI Training originally scheduled for Tuesday, 11/06/12 was postponed due to the effects of Hurricane Sandy.
The North Carolina Industrial Commission (NCIC) will be implementing two (2) electronic reporting processes for workers’ compensation claims:
- First Reports of Injury (FROI) and Subsequent Reports of Injury (SROI)
- Electronic reporting for FROI/SROI will become available on January 2, 2013, and mandatory implementation is required for workers’ compensation carriers and self-insured employers by January 2, 2014.
- Electronic reporting will occur via Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) transactions, using the Claims 3.0 reporting standards adopted by the International Association of Industrial Accident Boards and Commissions (IAIABC).
- Claims EDI testing will be available beginning October 1, 2012.
- Medical Billing
- Electronic reporting for Medical Billing will become available on March 1, 2013, and mandatory implementation is required for workers’ compensation carriers and self-insured employers by March 1, 2014.
- Electronic reporting will occur via EDI transactions, using the Medical Billing 2.0 reporting standards adopted by the IAIABC.
- Medical Billing EDI testing will be available beginning January 2, 2013.
Additional information on EDI transactions can be found online at the IAIABC website, http://www.iaiabc.org.
The North Carolina Industrial Commission has contracted with Insurance Services Office, Inc. (ISO) to manage its electronic reporting. ISO will be administering registration of carriers, self-insurers, medical bill review companies and third party administrators as trading partners, EDI testing, and data collection and submission of EDI data to the NCIC.